Pages - Menu

Sunday, October 13, 2013

The Merchant's Daughter


Melanie Dickerson
"An unthinkable danger. An unexpected choice. Annabel, once the daughter of a wealthy merchant, is trapped in indentured servitude to Lord Ranulf, a recluse who is rumored to be both terrifying and beastly. Her circumstances are made even worse by the proximity of Lord Ranulf's bailiff---a revolting man who has made unwelcome advances on Annabel in the past. Believing that life in a nunnery is the best way to escape the escalation of the bailiff's vile behavior and to preserve the faith that sustains her, Annabel is surprised to discover a sense of security and joy in her encounters with Lord Ranulf. As Annabel struggles to confront her feelings, she is involved in a situation that could place Ranulf in grave danger. Ranulf's future, and possibly his heart, may rest in her hands, and Annabel must decide whether to follow the plans she has cherished or the calling God has placed on her heart." - Amazon decription

OH
MY 
GOODNESS. 
I have read NOTHING good lately and this one is going to receive my wrath because it's the most recent in a string of terrible books.
If they even deserve the name 'books'. 
I'm not gonna blame the author for all these terrible books, I'm really not. You know why? Because it's the publishers fault. 
PUBLISH GOOD MANUSCRIPTS. 
THEY EXIST I PROMISE YOU. 
Anyway, onto the review. 
So, this book actually has excellent reviews on amazon, which just baffles me. Someone actually called it "hauntingly beautiful." Sorry, but just because a main character is disfigured and has an eyepatch doesn't make it haunting, and a girl with PGS* falls in love with him doesn't make it beautiful. 
It makes it a cliche. 
Now, I didn't read the whole book, but I read up to, like, page 100 and then read the last page, but it was enough to make me want to gouge out my brain. Apparently, every one in medieval England speaks like modern day wooden puppets, who knew eh? Certainly not me! Let me give you the passage that really just sums it up for me: 
"'Bailiff Tom, I don't like the way you are harassing my servant.' Ranulf Gave Tom his most serious glare." 
That's right guys, be afraid - Ranulf is giving his most serious glare. Not just his every day glare, but his most serious glare. 
The ENTIRE THING is written like that. And there is, like, zero character dialog; they all talk the same. 
And he's so mysterious
and she's so golden
and he's so brooding
and she's so stout of heart
and he's so tortured by his crazybeyotchdeadwife
but wait! Surely he'll fall in love with our Mary-Sue heroine who will save him!**

Also, every time she puts on a dress, I don't need to know if it's her best or her worst or her middle best or whatever. That irritated me so much.

Bottom line: Oh my gosh if you're going to write a book set in a historical era please do at least a little research first, ESPECIALLY FOR DIALOG GOOD GOD PLEASE***. 

*Perfect Girl Syndrome
** Don't worry, he does. I read the end. 
*** Speaking of God, He is very present in this book which is just not my cup of tea. Especially since the heroine is the only one who actually cares about Him which just furthers her Mary-Sue-ness by perpetuating the idea of her moral superiority. 

No comments:

Post a Comment